A gorgeous smile makes a lasting impression. In this day and age, people have a variety of choices to keep their pearly whites looking sensational.
Consider these simple steps to enjoying a fantastic image:
- Visit the dentist regularly. Routine cleanings and checkups will go a long way to keep your teeth healthy. These appointments also allow Dr. Mike Sagarian to monitor your oral health and address any problems before they escalate.
- Practice proper home care. If you don’t make brushing and flossing a priority, your smile will suffer. Tooth decay and gum disease can wreak havoc on your oral health and appearance.
- Consider orthodontic treatment. Did you know that a straight smile not only looks better, but it is also easier to keep clean? Modern treatment options such as Invisalign aligners allow you to achieve a perfect smile without traditional metal braces.
- Explore cosmetic dentistry options. Even simple procedures, like teeth whitening or bonding, can have a big impact on your smile. Make a consultation appointment with Dr. Mike Sagarian to review all your options.
- Change your diet. Acidic foods can cause enamel erosion and dark beverages can stain teeth, so try to consume these items in moderation.
- Kick the tobacco habit. Smoking can make you prone to periodontal disease, which can result in gum regression, loose teeth, and even tooth loss.
- Smile more often. Most people feel better when they smile, and others respond well to your positive energy, so give it a try.
Are you noticing that your teeth are looking less than their best? Maybe they’re a little dingy, and not the bright, white teeth you used to love in the mirror and in photographs? If you are not enjoying what you see when you view your smile, maybe it’s time for a little pick-me-up. Maybe it’s time to say yes to whitening your teeth.
Teeth whitening is one of the most popular, safe and effective cosmetic dentistry treatments. It can be accomplished in as little as one dental appointment and can lighten your natural tooth color by several shades with professional and repeated use.
Over time, our teeth collect stains that build up, one on top of another. These stains can be the result of the foods we eat and the liquids we drink. Foods such as blackberries, blueberries and beets can be among the worst culprits. Liquids such as coffee, tea, red wine and even soda can darken teeth. Food ingredients like soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and tomato sauce can also leave their mark.
You can remove some of these types of stains at home with whitening toothpastes or other at-home products. These whitening products attempt to remove stains through gentle abrasion or low levels of hydrogen peroxide. They can be effective over long periods of time, but for the biggest change in the least amount of time, an appointment with a dental professional is the best bet.
Your dentist will custom fit you with trays that contain a bleaching agent. Often activated by a special light, these bleaching trays can completely remove stains and can brighten your smile noticeably. Your friends and family may wonder if you’ve had “work” done, but you’ll know it’s just your new, rejuvenated smile.
Don’t wait to start enjoying the benefits of a brighter, whiter smile. Call Broadmoor Family Dental in Shreveport, LA today. You’ll love what you see in the mirror!Read More »
If you have kicked the smoking habit, congratulations!!! Your whole body thanks you, including your mouth. Now that you’ve tossed your tobacco, you may need some extra dental care to help with any damage that was created by using tobacco.
Even if you practiced good dental hygiene during the time you used tobacco products, the chemicals likely still stained and damaged your teeth. Schedule an appointment with your dentist for a thorough cleaning. Sometimes an even deeper cleaning is recommended to get rid of stubborn plaque and discoloration.
Examination for oral health problems
Your dentist will also examine your mouth for signs of gum disease and other problems. If any infection is present, antibiotics may be prescribed. Other issues like exposed roots or cavities may require further treatment such as root canals. You want to take care of problems right away so that your mouth function and your smile will get better instead of worse.
After your teeth have been professionally cleaned and treated as necessary, you may want to consider cosmetic procedures if you’re still unhappy with your smile. Professional teeth whitening may help brighten your smile, or you might need something like dental implants to replace any teeth that couldn’t be saved. Veneers might also be helpful if your teeth are too discolored from long years of tobacco use. Let your dentist know if you have any additional goals for your smile, because there are likely additional treatments that could benefit you.
One of the most popular cosmetic dental treatments available today is teeth whitening. Professional methods performed at your dentist’s office are the fastest and most effective of all choices.
Teeth whitening is well-liked because it creates dramatic improvements without breaking the bank. It is less expensive than most other options for transforming your smile. The effects on your smile are immediate, and the procedure itself gets you in and out of the dental chair in a short time. Also, teeth whitening is not invasive and most patients do not experience pain.
Do all of these benefits seem too good to be true? Surely there must be a catch? Teeth whitening is a great option for the vast majority of patients, but there are some things that your dentist must consider before starting your procedure. You need to be identified as a good candidate for teeth whitening so that you’ll be comfortable during treatment and happy with the results.
One of the most important considerations is the type of staining your teeth have. Intrinsic discoloration does not respond well to laser teeth whitening, which is the most common method professional treatments employ. If you have intrinsic staining, dental veneers might be a better choice for improving your smile. However, if you have extrinsic discoloration, you are a candidate for whitening.
If your dentist plans to proceed with professional whitening, you may be advised to first prepare by following these recommendations:
- Have your teeth professionally cleaned prior to teeth whitening treatment to eliminate as much tartar and surface staining as possible.
- If you have gum disease, have your dentist treat that before undergoing any teeth whitening method.
- Switch to a toothpaste specially designed for sensitive teeth. It will help block the pores of your teeth that reach your nerves, making your teeth less sensitive to the laser heat and chemicals used during whitening.
- Ask your dentist for recommendations about any pain medications you might take right before treatment if you know that you have very sensitive teeth. There may be specific medicines preferred for reducing discomfort but not increasing your risk of bleeding or other side effects.
Teeth whitening is a safe effective solution for improving smiles. Visit Broadmoor Family Dental in Shreveport, LA today to see if you are a candidate and how you can start preparing for your renewed smile.Read More »
Every member of your family requires and deserves good oral health care. From the youngest to the oldest, each person should visit the dentist regularly. This is where a family dentist comes into your life. Family dentists treat all ages and a wide variety of conditions, providing your whole family with the specific treatments they need to achieve healthy, winning smiles.
Not every family dentist is the same. Because it should be a long-term relationship established with your family, make sure you choose the right one who meets all of your needs. Look for a practice with convenient hours and location, a clean and comfortable setting for your care, and the credentials for all aspects of your treatment.
Family dentists are focused on the hygiene and health of your smile. This includes thorough examinations, regular cleanings, fluoride treatments, gum disease therapy, cavity diagnosis and treatment, and even orthodontics.
The great thing about family dentistry is that it addresses dental health for every stage of life. Children have different concerns than their parents and their grandparents. Skilled family dentists provide complete oral care from baby teeth to permanent teeth to restorations for seniors.
Another qualification of family dentists is to recognize and handle dental fears in patients of all ages. Children may be afraid of the unfamiliar environment and sometimes scary equipment, so family dentists are trained to ease their fears through kindness and gentleness. Many of these specialists offer distractions for young patients like videos, music and books. It’s a goal of family dentistry to help children develop a lifelong positive attitude toward dental treatment. Kids aren’t the only patients with dental anxiety though, so family dentists also are able to address fears in adults and offer ways to increase their comfort level.
No matter the ages of your family members or their oral conditions, family dentists are qualified to treat the varying needs with skill and confidence.Read More »
There are many things you can do that will improve your look, such as a new hairstyle or diet. But have you thought about the dramatic effects changing your smile might have on your appearance? Cosmetic dentistry was established to make you more beautiful and confident with a winning smile.
Cosmetic dentists offer a wide variety of ways to alter your smile that can affect your whole appearance. It’s amazing what straight, white, fully restored teeth can do for a person. Here are some popular treatments offered through cosmetic dentistry.
Things like aging, eating dark foods, and smoking contribute to a dingy smile. Cosmetic dentists can brighten your smile right away using professional whitening techniques. Often in just an hour, you can have a brilliant smile to wow all your friends.
Thin porcelain shells may be securely adhered to the front surfaces of your teeth. Cracks, misalignments, discolorations, chips and misshapen teeth will all disappear under your dental veneers. They are customized just for you, even down to the exact shade of white you desire, so that you end up with the smile you’ve always wanted.
Cosmetic dentists can repair many minor teeth issues with dental bonding. Composite resin material is typically used to fill in chips, spaces, stains, cracks and fractures. Bonding lasts for years with proper oral hygiene.
To restore your tooth appearance and function, a crown is placed over a damaged tooth. It may be a tooth that is worn down, discolored, weak or otherwise compromised. Also, crowns are used as part of the process with dental implants, bridges or root canals. These restorations are made from materials like porcelain, ceramic, or resin.
Used to replace missing teeth, bridges are also called fixed partial dentures. These are usually made from gold, alloys, or a combination of these materials.
In addition to orthodontists, many cosmetic dentists can provide braces to straighten your teeth, repair an irregular bite, or reposition your jaw. Options include metals, ceramic, or plastic and some choices are even invisible in your smile.
Why not do something for yourself that might be able to turn your whole outlook on life around? If you are a person embarrassed by your smile because of how it looks, then consider a smile makeover through your cosmetic dentist.
Cosmetic dentists listen to what you have to say about your smile – your dislikes and your goals – and offer advice on how to help you achieve the new look you desire. Efforts are concentrated on improving the appearance of your smile, which then gives the added bonus of better self-esteem and improved oral condition.
Common reasons patients seek smile makeovers include tooth chips, cracks, gaps, discoloration, misalignment, and more. You and your dentist can work together to decide which procedures or treatments most suit your goals, lifestyle, and wallet.
Here are some smile makeover techniques available through qualified and experienced cosmetic dentists:
- Bonding is a very simple and cost-effective way to repair chips, gaps, and stains. A composite resin material is applied to the area and then molded and polished to blend with your smile.
- Teeth whitening is quick and painless, and can produce a major smile improvement. Professional methods at a cosmetic dental office provide the most dramatic results using high concentration bleaching agents and laser lights.
- Dental veneers are thin porcelain covers securely bonded to the fronts of teeth to hide all kinds of imperfections. They give a brand new smile of your choice.
- Crowns go on top of a broken or otherwise damaged tooth. Once the original tooth is prepared to a specific size, a crown is placed over it and then securely bonded in place. Crowns are often made of porcelain for a natural appearance and durable lifetime.
- Dental implants are the newest way to replace missing teeth. A titanium rod is surgically placed into the jaw bone to simulate a new tooth root, and a crown is usually placed on top to provide a fully functional and attractive new tooth.
These are just a few of the treatments offered by the cosmetic dentists at Broadmoor Family Dental in Shreveport, LA. A consultation to see how your smile makeover can be achieved may turn your life around!Read More »