Dental implants are one of the best choices for replacing missing teeth. If you have scheduled an implant procedure or are considering dental implant surgery, you should consult with your oral surgeon prior to treatment.
The following is a list of questions to help you gather the information you need before your dental implants are placed:
- Am I a good candidate for dental implant therapy? Ideal patients will have a sufficient amount of bone to allow the implant to fuse properly with the jawbone.
- Will I need any pre-operative procedures? If you do not have sufficient bone to successfully place the implant, a bone graft may be suggested to provide supplemental bone.
- What type of dental implants will be placed? Depending on your specific case, there are several different types of implants your surgeon will consider.
- How long with the implant placement procedure take to complete? Most implants can be placed in just a few hours.
- What complications or risks could I possibly expect? The most common complication associated with dental implant surgery is the risk of infection, which would impact recovery time.
- Can you describe the healing process from dental implant surgery? Your doctor should be able to explain the length of time you will need to heal, as well as provide surgery aftercare instructions for you to follow.
With proper placement and care, dental implants can last a lifetime. Making certain you understand the procedure and recovery process are important steps to ensuring your dental implant procedure is successful. Consult with the Shreveport implant dentists at Broadmoor Family Dental for answers to these and any other questions you have specific to your situation.Read More »