Hybrid dentures, also known as fixed-removable dentures, are an option for replacing missing teeth and gum tissue with a prosthesis that is attached to dental implants. Hybrid dentures are an attractive option for patients who have extensive bone deterioration in the jaw. Once placed, the implants will take several months to fuse with the bone. When hybrid dentures have had time to heal, you will want to follow some basic care instructions to maintain their function and keep your mouth healthy:
- Maintain excellent oral hygiene by brushing and flossing a minimum of twice daily.
- Visit your dentist for regular checkups to have the area around your implants properly cleaned and examined.
- Refrain from smoking or using tobacco products, which can cause long-term problems with inflammation, gum disease, and bone health.
- Maintain proper nutrition and a healthy weight.
- Take calcium and vitamin D supplements to help ensure excellent bone density.
- Keep your dentist informed of any medications you are taking that could affect your bone density and health.
Practicing excellent oral hygiene and taking care of your overall health will protect you from gum disease or other issues that could cause the failure of your dental implants and hybrid dentures. With hybrid dentures, the teeth will eventually wear out and need to be replaced, but maintaining proper care for your dentures will extend their life and protect your investment and your beautiful smile.