If you have kicked the smoking habit, congratulations!!! Your whole body thanks you, including your mouth. Now that you’ve tossed your tobacco, you may need some extra dental care to help with any damage that was created by using tobacco.
Even if you practiced good dental hygiene during the time you used tobacco products, the chemicals likely still stained and damaged your teeth. Schedule an appointment with your dentist for a thorough cleaning. Sometimes an even deeper cleaning is recommended to get rid of stubborn plaque and discoloration.
Examination for oral health problems
Your dentist will also examine your mouth for signs of gum disease and other problems. If any infection is present, antibiotics may be prescribed. Other issues like exposed roots or cavities may require further treatment such as root canals. You want to take care of problems right away so that your mouth function and your smile will get better instead of worse.
After your teeth have been professionally cleaned and treated as necessary, you may want to consider cosmetic procedures if you’re still unhappy with your smile. Professional teeth whitening may help brighten your smile, or you might need something like dental implants to replace any teeth that couldn’t be saved. Veneers might also be helpful if your teeth are too discolored from long years of tobacco use. Let your dentist know if you have any additional goals for your smile, because there are likely additional treatments that could benefit you.
Why not do something for yourself that might be able to turn your whole outlook on life around? If you are a person embarrassed by your smile because of how it looks, then consider a smile makeover through your cosmetic dentist.
Cosmetic dentists listen to what you have to say about your smile – your dislikes and your goals – and offer advice on how to help you achieve the new look you desire. Efforts are concentrated on improving the appearance of your smile, which then gives the added bonus of better self-esteem and improved oral condition.
Common reasons patients seek smile makeovers include tooth chips, cracks, gaps, discoloration, misalignment, and more. You and your dentist can work together to decide which procedures or treatments most suit your goals, lifestyle, and wallet.
Here are some smile makeover techniques available through qualified and experienced cosmetic dentists:
- Bonding is a very simple and cost-effective way to repair chips, gaps, and stains. A composite resin material is applied to the area and then molded and polished to blend with your smile.
- Teeth whitening is quick and painless, and can produce a major smile improvement. Professional methods at a cosmetic dental office provide the most dramatic results using high concentration bleaching agents and laser lights.
- Dental veneers are thin porcelain covers securely bonded to the fronts of teeth to hide all kinds of imperfections. They give a brand new smile of your choice.
- Crowns go on top of a broken or otherwise damaged tooth. Once the original tooth is prepared to a specific size, a crown is placed over it and then securely bonded in place. Crowns are often made of porcelain for a natural appearance and durable lifetime.
- Dental implants are the newest way to replace missing teeth. A titanium rod is surgically placed into the jaw bone to simulate a new tooth root, and a crown is usually placed on top to provide a fully functional and attractive new tooth.
These are just a few of the treatments offered by the cosmetic dentists at Broadmoor Family Dental in Shreveport, LA. A consultation to see how your smile makeover can be achieved may turn your life around!Read More »