Maintaining good oral health is crucial to every member of your family. Studies have shown a direct link between dental health and overall general health.
Your family dentist offers a wide array of preventative care options to aid in the prevention of decay, disease and damage including:
- Supplemental fluoride treatments that are easily applied in a flavored rinse form. Fluoride offers an additional layer of protection to teeth and helps them to stay healthy and strong.
- Dental sealants that are painted onto teeth to fill the cracks and small areas that are difficult to clean thoroughly.
- Custom-fit protective mouth guards for use when playing sports to protect the teeth, lips and tongue from trauma.
- Computer monitoring of gum disease to identify and prevent the onset and progression of gum disease.
- Night guards that can be custom made to protect teeth of patients who are prone to grinding their teeth at night.
- Dental appliances that are designed to reposition the tongue and jaw to help reduce sleep apnea caused by obstructed airflow when sleeping.
- X-rays and screenings to detect potential problems like cavities, gum disease, and even oral cancer.
- Orthodontics to repair misaligned teeth that can be difficult to clean, making them prone to decay.
- Professional cleaning to keep your teeth free from plaque that causes a host of dental problems.
Poor dental health interferes with your quality of life. A healthy smile not only improves your appearance but also improves your confidence. Preventive dentistry options provided by your family dentist can save you time and money by helping you avoid more extensive restorative dental treatments. Schedule a visit to the family dentists at Broadmoor Family Dental in Shreveport, LA to determine which preventive dental care treatments would best help your family improve their dental health and ensure them a lifetime of healthy smiles.Read More »
Why wait until you have a toothache, bleeding gums, bad breath, or other problems to decide it’s time to start focusing on your oral health? Your mouth and your whole body can benefit from maintaining good oral health.
Here is some simple advice that will help you along the path to a healthy smile.
Brushing and flossing
Tooth decay and gum disease are both preventable with proper brushing and flossing. Brush with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste, using a circular motion. It’s best to brush after every meal, but twice a day should be the minimum. Gently floss your teeth daily to remove food particles and bacteria between your teeth.
Focusing on eating foods from each food group will aid your oral health in addition to your overall health. Not getting essential nutrients in your diet increases your risk of gum disease, and also makes it more difficult for your body to resist infection. Eat low fat dairy items, lean proteins, vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Look for foods low in sugar, which can lead to tooth decay. Avoid snacking too much during the day when you aren’t going to brush your teeth afterwards, and drink plenty of water throughout the day.
Seeing your dentist
Visit Broadmoor Family Dental in Shreveport at least twice a year for checkups. During these appointments, your dentist will look for problems and professionally clean your teeth. Delays in treatment of some conditions can cause them to worsen to the point that treatment may be more painful, difficult, or costly. Your dentist will help you keep your teeth and gums healthy so that you can keep smiling as long as possible.
Why not do something for yourself that might be able to turn your whole outlook on life around? If you are a person embarrassed by your smile because of how it looks, then consider a smile makeover through your cosmetic dentist.
Cosmetic dentists listen to what you have to say about your smile – your dislikes and your goals – and offer advice on how to help you achieve the new look you desire. Efforts are concentrated on improving the appearance of your smile, which then gives the added bonus of better self-esteem and improved oral condition.
Common reasons patients seek smile makeovers include tooth chips, cracks, gaps, discoloration, misalignment, and more. You and your dentist can work together to decide which procedures or treatments most suit your goals, lifestyle, and wallet.
Here are some smile makeover techniques available through qualified and experienced cosmetic dentists:
- Bonding is a very simple and cost-effective way to repair chips, gaps, and stains. A composite resin material is applied to the area and then molded and polished to blend with your smile.
- Teeth whitening is quick and painless, and can produce a major smile improvement. Professional methods at a cosmetic dental office provide the most dramatic results using high concentration bleaching agents and laser lights.
- Dental veneers are thin porcelain covers securely bonded to the fronts of teeth to hide all kinds of imperfections. They give a brand new smile of your choice.
- Crowns go on top of a broken or otherwise damaged tooth. Once the original tooth is prepared to a specific size, a crown is placed over it and then securely bonded in place. Crowns are often made of porcelain for a natural appearance and durable lifetime.
- Dental implants are the newest way to replace missing teeth. A titanium rod is surgically placed into the jaw bone to simulate a new tooth root, and a crown is usually placed on top to provide a fully functional and attractive new tooth.
These are just a few of the treatments offered by the cosmetic dentists at Broadmoor Family Dental in Shreveport, LA. A consultation to see how your smile makeover can be achieved may turn your life around!Read More »