One of the greatest gifts you can give yourself is taking care of your oral health throughout your life. Practicing a consistent dental hygiene routine and maintaining regular visits to your general dentist are the best ways to increase your chances of a beautiful, healthy smile.
General dentists focus on preventive care and treating minor problems before they have a chance to worsen into serious issues. Even if you regularly brush and floss your teeth, plaque and tartar can be quick to develop. A dentist has the necessary tools and training to remove damaging deposits before they harm your smile. In addition to professional cleanings and examinations, most general dentists fill cavities, perform root canals, whiten teeth, and even offer additional cosmetic dental procedures like dental implants or veneers.
One of the main reasons for routine examinations is to identify various problems. One common issue that you want your general dentist to catch early is gum disease. When it is treated soon after it starts, you are more likely to avoid bone deterioration or tooth loss. The early stage of gum disease is called gingivitis and can be handled by your dentist with simple techniques. If it advances to periodontitis, that’s when bone or tooth loss become a possibility and more invasive procedures like scaling or root planing may be required.
Once you make your dental appointment, which is typically recommended every six months, make sure you keep your scheduled visit. Many patients fall victim to scheduling appointments and then cancelling, not realizing how important seeing your general dentist can be. If you have dental insurance, you can even use your dental benefits for examinations and treatments. This Shreveport dental office accepts Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Louisiana, MetLife, and Cigna.
Choose the dentists at Broadmoor Family Dentistry and establish a long-term relationship now, so that you can enjoy your healthy and appealing smile for years to come.Read More »
Wisdom teeth, or third molars, are the last molars to erupt, usually in the late teens. Because wisdom teeth have a propensity to come in sideways or to impact themselves in the gums, they are often extracted. For many people, wisdom tooth extraction is essential to prevent pain, infection, decay and damage to the surrounding teeth and gums.
While wisdom tooth extraction is a fairly common procedure, it’s still wise to be informed about what to expect before you proceed with surgery.
Some questions you will want to address with your oral surgeon prior to wisdom tooth extraction include:
- How many teeth will you be extracting?
- Will someone need to bring me to the surgery appointment and be available to also bring me home?
- How long will the surgery last?
- Will you use dental sedation and what type?
- What are the risks associated with wisdom tooth extraction?
- How complicated do you anticipate the procedure to be based on your evaluation of the condition of my wisdom teeth?
- Have any of the surrounding teeth suffered damage? If so, will they need additional treatment?
- Will any other dental treatments be required after the extraction?
- Will you provide specific aftercare instructions?
- Will you prescribe pain medication for any post-extraction discomfort?
- What kind of recovery should I expect?
Because every patient is different, it’s important that you discuss these issues before your wisdom tooth extraction to find out how they apply to your particular case. Understanding the surgical procedure and what to expect will help to ensure a successful wisdom tooth extraction surgery.
If you need wisdom teeth surgery, contact our Shreveport, LA dental office today.Read More »
Do you want to rejuvenate your appearance? Do you find yourself looking the mirror, turning your head from side to side, wondering when you started to look so tired or so old? Maybe you’re considering Botox or fillers or some other cosmetic procedure or surgery. If this sounds familiar to you, why not look into rejuvenating your smile? A smile makeover can change a lot about your face, and it might just enable you to skip the plastic surgery altogether!
When you get a smile makeover, you might start small with teeth whitening, or you might do something more dramatic such as dental veneers. Whatever you choose to do, your smile will look fantastic in the end, and just that one thing can change so much about your face.
As we age, our teeth can grind down. It’s a matter of simple use and is a natural part of our aging process. Dental veneers can lengthen stubby teeth, automatically taking years off of your appearance.
Missing or gapped teeth can lead to the other teeth collapsing in upon the empty space, starting a shifting process that can, over time, affect the entire face. Dental implants or a dental bridge can fill the gaps left by missing teeth. Restorative work can change the shape of a patient’s cheeks and lips, restoring a fullness associated with youth.
When your smile is beautiful, you possess a natural confidence that radiates from your face. You aren’t afraid to laugh, smile or talk with others, because you know your smile is attractive. In the past, you may have hidden your teeth, but now, you can forget those old self-conscious habits and live your life, confident and self-assured.
A beautiful smile can transform your appearance. Don’t turn to plastic surgery; call the Shreveport cosmetic dentists at Broadmoor Family Dental and begin enjoying your rejuvenating smile makeover today.Read More »
Dental implants are one of the best choices for replacing missing teeth. If you have scheduled an implant procedure or are considering dental implant surgery, you should consult with your oral surgeon prior to treatment.
The following is a list of questions to help you gather the information you need before your dental implants are placed:
- Am I a good candidate for dental implant therapy? Ideal patients will have a sufficient amount of bone to allow the implant to fuse properly with the jawbone.
- Will I need any pre-operative procedures? If you do not have sufficient bone to successfully place the implant, a bone graft may be suggested to provide supplemental bone.
- What type of dental implants will be placed? Depending on your specific case, there are several different types of implants your surgeon will consider.
- How long with the implant placement procedure take to complete? Most implants can be placed in just a few hours.
- What complications or risks could I possibly expect? The most common complication associated with dental implant surgery is the risk of infection, which would impact recovery time.
- Can you describe the healing process from dental implant surgery? Your doctor should be able to explain the length of time you will need to heal, as well as provide surgery aftercare instructions for you to follow.
With proper placement and care, dental implants can last a lifetime. Making certain you understand the procedure and recovery process are important steps to ensuring your dental implant procedure is successful. Consult with the Shreveport implant dentists at Broadmoor Family Dental for answers to these and any other questions you have specific to your situation.Read More »